One of the most common tips you get from beauty bloggers (and your mom) is “Always wear sunscreen!” Seriously, it’s summer and the sun is HOT, y’all. Every minute you spend in the sun, your skin is getting blasted with skin-killing rays of DOOM! I don’t mean to sound dramatic, but it’s a really important thing to remember.
If you are like me, you can get overwhelmed looking at the thousands of products that claim to be the best at protecting your skin from the harmful radiation. In the summer, there are aisles of the stuff in every store. Everything from make-up to lotion has some form of sunblock or SPF or UVB protection. Don’t dismay, I’m here to help!
Here is my short list of ‘musts’ when shopping for and using sunblock:
- Always choose one with Broad Spectrum protection. This means that it protects from both Ultraviolet A (UVA) and Ultraviolet B (UVB) rays. What good is it if it only protects you from a small amount of the sun’s rays? Go for the best!
- SPF level matters. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends an SPF of 30 or higher. I always choose something that is 50 or more because I’m a redhead and that means I burn sitting under a shade tree on a hot summer morning.
- If you know you are going somewhere with water (hello beach day!) make sure you pick a sunblock that is water resistant. Seriously, sunblock does you no good if it’s just going to immediately wash off your skin. Choose the resistance level based on how long you plan to be in the water.
- REAPPLY as needed. No sunblock will block 100% of the sun’s radiation, and no sunblock with be effective all day, so make sure you remember to reapply based on the manufacturer’s recommendation.
- I personally use makeup that contains Broad Spectrum protection. Even my make-up setting spray (Coola Make-up Setting Spray) has Broad Spectrum protection.
- Even short periods of time in the sun can be damaging to your skin, so don’t forget to protect your hands and arms while driving in the car.
With so many options on the shelf these days, you have no excuse to go out in the sun without protection. I hope this list helps you narrow down your sunblock options this summer.
Is there a sunblock you absolutely love? Tell me about it in the comments!!
Happy summer adventures,