Fante’s Coffee and Yes Louisville have paired up to bring Louisvillian’s a fun after-dinner event series, titled ‘An Intimate Chef’s Series’. This monthly event is held on the 4th Monday of each month and showcases a local chef which prepares a lovely dessert or tasting meal, which is then paired with a house roasted and crafted coffee by Leo Fante and a delicious wine from Vanguard Spirits.
Our inaugural event, held September 25th, featured Anoosh Shariat. Anoosh made his famous tiramisu and Leo Fante created a very special blend of coffee. The Blend is described as:
50% Colombian Excelso 15, 16 screen
25 % SHB (Strictly Hard Bean) Guatemala
25% Indonesian from Sumatra
Roasted to a 45 full city roast
From: Anoosh Shariat, Anoosh Bistro
Recipe fits 13x 9” pan or roughly 25 individual servings
Mascarpone Pastry Cream
- 2 CupsHeavy Cream
- 2 CupsWhole Milk
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar (Divided in Half)
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 2.5 oz Corn Starch
- 2 oz Unsalted butter
- 2 oz Kahlua
- 2 oz Marsala Wine or Brandy
- In a pot, heat heavy cream, milk, and ½ cup sugar until simmering
- While heating cream, add egg yolks, whole eggs, and ½ cup sugar and whisk until combined
- Whisk in cornstarch until lumps are about dissolved
- Once the cream is simmering, remove from heat and slowly add a small amount of the hot cream to the egg mixture while quickly whisking. Continue to add a little at a time until the egg mixture is about the same temperature as the cream.
- Pour egg mixture into the cream while whisking and put back on medium heat
- Constantly stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until the mixture thickens and starts to bubble. (It will look clumpy, but that is okay.)
- Immediately remove from heat once you see the first bubbles start.
- Pour in Kahlua, Marsala, and Butter and whisk in until smooth and combined
- Pour into a dish to cool and cover the top with plastic wrap touching the cream so it does not form a skin. Cool.
- Once completely cool, add 1 ½ Cups of mascarpone to the mixture and mix.
Mascarpone Whip Cream
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ Cup Powdered Sugar
- Splash Vanilla
- ½ Cup Mascarpone
- In a mixing bowl, add mascarpone and whip on medium until soften
- Scrape bowl and add remainder of ingredients
- Whip on slow until combined, scrape the bowl
- Whip on high until stiff peaks
- 2 Cups Hot Water
- ¼ Cup Instant Espresso
- ½ Cup Kahlua
- 1 T Sugar
- Combine in a bowl and mix
Steps to build
- Take ladyfingers and dip them in espresso mixture one at a time and lay side by side in the bottom of a 13×9.
- Take half the mascarpone pastry cream and spread it out covering the ladyfingers
- Repeat with the ladyfingers
- Repeat with the other half of the pastry cream
- Repeat with the ladyfingers
- Spread the whipped cream
- To finish, sift cocoa powder heavily on top of the whipped cream
- Place in Refrigerator overnight or put in the freezer for 2-3 hours so flavors and soak together and it is easier to cut.
***If making individual portions, layer: ladyfingers, pastry cream, lady fingers, whip cream, cocoa powder.